Thursday, May 9, 2013

I don't fucking care if you *like* it

I don't fucking care if you like it!

I often listen to audio books while working in my studio, so in Bossypants, when Tina Fey quoted Amy Poehler as saying this, I immediately put it on a charm. Tina and Amy are two of my heroes: incredibly smart, hard-working women who are fucking hilarious.

Amy reportedly said this in reference to an SNL coworker who reacted to a crude joke with "Ew, that's not cute, stop it, I don't like it" or a similar whine. I didn't write down that part, because was her response that rocked:

I don't fucking care if you like it. And then - just back to normal. No tantrum, no grudge. Just standing her ground and being who she is.

Women especially, I think - but I don't know, I've never been a man so I can't compare - so OK, PEOPLE WHO AREN'T SOCIOPATHS - often feel pressure to make sure everything is ok...that no one is upset or in danger of being upset. And in this particular case, the idea that Amy should be cute, feminine and girly was upsetting the boys. So really, "I don't fucking care if you like it" is empowerment at its best. You don't need to live your life making sure no one ever gets upset, or doesn't like something you do. Do what feels right, what makes you laugh. The boys can put on their big girl panties and deal with it.

For whatever reason, making fuck jewelry makes me laugh. Really hard. So here we are. Fuck yeah. You can see all the fucking bracelets I've posted on Etsy here.